University and Graduate Admissions Tests

If you are trying to secure a place on a professional or vocational course at a university or graduate school, then you may need to take a standardized test. These types of test have been used in the USA for many years and their use has now spread to the UK, particularly for courses which are heavily oversubscribed, for example medicine, law and dentistry.

Standardized Test Acronym Country
Biomedical Admissions Test BMAT UK
Common Admission Test CAT India
Dental Admission Test DAT USA
Grad. Australian Medical School Admission Test GAMSAT Australia
Graduate Management Admission Test GMAT USA
Graduate Record Examination GRE USA
Law School Admission Test LSAT USA & Canada
Medical College Admission Test MCAT USA
Miller Analogies Test MAT USA
National Admissions Test for Law LNAT UK
Optometry Admissions Test OAT USA
Pharmacy College Admission Test PCAT USA
United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test UKCAT UK

The most widely used tests are listed above, along with their acronym and the countries where the tests are used. Many of the organisations that administer these tests maintain websites which offer information about the tests and practice questions may also be available.

If you think that you will need to take one of these standardized tests then you should check the prospectus of the university or graduate school that you are applying to confirm which test is being used. You should then find out as much as possible about the test using the websites listed on this page.

You may also be interested in reading background information on psychometric tests and aptitude tests.

Pass Aptitude Tests
FREE Offer